The process of conceiving and giving birth to a child is usually a normal process for most of the mothers. But for a few, it comes with a lot of complications which is known as a high-risk pregnancy. Women who conceive prior to the age of 17 and after the age of 35 are more likely to have a high risk of pregnancy.
In a high-risk pregnancy, a baby is posed with several risks of health issues which can affect it either during or after the delivery. In such cases, thorough care during pregnancy and monitoring is required. It is crucial to be aware of the risk factors to avoid a high risk of pregnancy. The risk factors are as follow:
- Maternal Age: This is a huge factor and must not be ignored. Mothers older than the age of 35 must be extremely cautious while they are pregnant.
- Medical History: Medical history of several diseases and conditions such as diabetes, hypertension, heart disorders, asthma, and infection can increase the chances of a high-risk pregnancy.
- Lifestyle Choices: Several lifestyle choices like consumption of alcohol, cigarette smoking, and usage of drugs can threaten a pregnancy.
- Surgical History: History of surgeries of the ovary and other reproductive organs can be a threat.
- Multiple Births: If a woman carries more than one fetus at a time, it can pose a threat.
- Overweight and Obesity: Being overweight or obese can be a risk factor of a high-risk pregnancy.
- Other Diseases like thyroids, HIV, chronic kidney diseases, and depression can also affect a pregnancy.
How to Deal with the condition?
If at all one gets pregnant with high risks, there are ways in which one can increase the probability of having a healthy baby, ensuring that the mother’s health is not affected too.
- Make sure to have a preconception visit with the doctor
- Know your body and all other conditions
- Know about your medical history thoroughly
- Get yourself and your partner checked, medically
- Gain or lose the right amount of weight after consulting a doctor
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle
- Take care of your physical and emotional health.
Visit Us: karecentre.in
Blog reviewed by: DR. KRISHNAN KUTTY
Mail Us @ email@example.com
Book an appointment: karecentre.in/book-an-appointment.php